This week our thoughts and actions have been with Helen as she fought to survive.
Helen had been diagnosed with acute renal failure. Staff noticed her looking not well on Thursday morning and after running some preliminary tests found that she was severely dehydrated. Given that Helen is always drinking this caused alarm. Further tests showed that she had acute renal failure.
Helen had been medicated, on a drip and had been tube fed in the hope that her kidneys would begin working.
The very sad upshot of Helen’s story is that she was probably poisoned on one of the nights recently when we could not find her to lock her in her bed for the night.
There have been recent reports of other animals being poisoned locally. It is very sad that people in Wagga are prepared to do this to an animal. If your pet is not themselves contact a vet pronto.
Even with the best veterinary care and prompt action, Helen unfortunately passed away. Our staff our devastated and will deeply mourn her passing as will all our clients who met her on their own journeys visiting our clinic.
Rest in peace, Helen. We love you.
Our young nurses have been working at their skills this week.
Joella has taken her first x-ray, taken jugular blood samples, placed catheters and been monitoring catheters.
Well done, Joella. Excellent work. It’s great to see you so enthusiastic about your learning.
Montanna is using time in the break room to catch up on her studies.
We have such enthusiastic young nurses. They love what they do, are committed to the best care of their patients and are keen to continue their learning!
Great to see you working hard, Montanna! And you have a great study-buddy!
This week we have two Team Players of the Week.
Jesse-Compassion, Honesty, Love, Excellence, Communication
Karley-Honesty, Excellence, Compassion, Communication
Great news-all our kittens have found wonderful homes!
Now our puppies are ready for adoption!
They are desexed, male and female, Johnson bulldog mixed puppies. They have been well handled and well loved so will make excellent family pets.
1. Oakley and friend
Peanut Butter Alert
Chocolate contains theobromine and caffeine, both are toxic to dogs and cats. The darker the chocolate, the higher the risk.
Toxicity depends on the type of chocolate. White and milk chocolate will generally cause less serious signs of upset like stomach upset and diarrhea, while dark and cooking chocolate, even small amounts, can cause heart issues and death.
Signs of chocolate toxicity include excessive thirst, vomiting, diarrhea, racing heart
Wagga Wagga Relay for Life 2019
Lake Rd Vet Clinic is all ready for this year’s Relay for Life. Our team name is ‘Lake Rd Vet Labradoodles’. We are excited about this year’s event after our successful entry last year.
We are looking for anyone who would like to join our team and run with us in October. If you’d like to join us, let us know!
Dermcare Clinic Cat of the Year
Helen has been nominated as Clinic Cat of the Year.
We would love her to have this honour especially after her having been so ill.
You can vote for Helen here:
Helen is pawsitively our number 1!
Exotic and Pocket Pet Month
During the month of April Lake Road Vet Hospital is offering free Preventative Health Checks for your Exotic Pets and Pocket Pets.
Health checks include checking their teeth for breaks and decay, checking their ears for signs of infection, checking their vital signs for any sign that things are not right and generally checking your pet over to for any outward signs of illness.