Nurse Sam has been caring for these beautiful birds. These 2 lorikeets have been in the one big cage together, very cuddly and lovely. She had Peter the Rosella who was released this morning. He’s in the grevillea next to her house and keeps coming back for some seed!
Working with Wildlife
We often work with WIRES to support and care for sick and injured wildlife. It is one of the joys of being in the veterinary industry, coming into contact with out diverse and unique wildlife. Some of our staff are trained WIRES carers and have experience caring for marsupials, reptiles, birds and bats. Sometimes sick wildlife needs to remain under nurse care until their medical needs stabilise.
This week we say hello to some of our cheeky friends who are under medical care at the moment.
Dr Alex and Dr Sara had a couple of wildlife patients in hospital this week! Little Johnny (with Alex) is just a baby and is receiving around the clock supportive care and Gertrude (with Sara) is recovering after an anaesthesia to realign and cast his fractured leg!
Exciting News for Meridah!
Today’s highlight for me was seeing Meridah’s CLEAR ultrasound today after a full course of chemotherapy! Team effort here; from organising appointments, admissions, ordering meds, liaising with the client; as well as treating Meridah and every detail down to arranging the balloon. Meridah usually hates balloons but we must’ve fixed that for her too because she’s loving this balloon; it even matches her tie. Big pats on the back team!
Amazing news everyone!!
A big shout out to our fabulous Dr Alex who has worked flat out over the holiday season and continues to work tirelessly! We think you are amazing!
Maddie you are doing a great job!
It’s wonderful to see our new people so enthusiastic and working so hard to be part of our Lake Road Vet Family.
Thank you Maddie we really appreciate you!
What Does Plastic Do To Sea Turtles?
Ingesting plastics isn’t a harmless mistake, the consumption of this man-made material can cost sea turtles their lives. That’s because plastic can cause blockages in their intestines and even pierce their intestine wall causing internal bleeding.
Perhaps the most distressing fate of all is when the plastic in the turtle’s stomach imitates the sensation of being full. Turtles then neglect to seek out other food sources and ultimately die from starvation.
Sea turtles can often mistake floating plastic garbage for food. They can choke, sustain internal injury and die or starve.Plastics can also create pockets of air in their gut, making it difficult to dive.
1000 turtles, at least, die each year from being tangled in plastic waste.
70% of loggerhead turtles found dead in Queensland have eaten plastic.
52% of all sea turtles have eaten plastic particles.
So, the lesson for today: RECYCLE YOUR SOFT PLASTICS! If your can scrunch it into a ball there is a drop off point at your local supermarkets!